sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 8:51 am  #1

CKNX Television

In the station's Wikipedia profile, it lists an affilliation with the CBC from 1955-1988. It also lists a secondary affilliation with CBS from 1956-61. I would think this could not be possible under Canadian broadcast regulations. However, when CHCH left the CBC in 1961, they purchased loads of American shows from the Hollywood studios. Is it possible that CKNX had some sort or arrangement with CBS to lease or purchase some of their shows cheaper than what was charged by the studios. They would probably air when CKNX had no commitments to CBC programs. Anyone growing up in SW Ontario remember anything about the early days of Wingham's ch 8.

April 18, 2024 10:41 am  #2

Re: CKNX Television

There were a number of Canadian stations that had secondary affiliations with one of the US TV networks especially in the 50's and into the early 60's.  Most were independently owned stations but also an affiliate of CBC.

CKLW while still affiliated with CBC was also an affiliate of the Dumont TV network in the US.  I know that a few stations in Western Canada also had secondary affiliations with American networks for a time.

I don't know much about these arrangements or how extensive they were.  I am sure some programming was involved but I was also of the understanding that it involved news reporting.  This meant that a station like CKNX could run reports of stories from CBS on their local news.  In turn CKNX could send reports for CBS if anything of note happened in mid-western Ontario that would be of interest to a US audience.  And not necessarily always hard news.  

When the old NewsRadio network was operating across Canada, they were also affiliated with CBS radio.  When working at CKPR in Thunder Bay our radio station would send voice reports to CBS Radio in New York from time to time.  Occasionally they would call and ask if we had any reports or information on certain stories. 

Once we had a large train derailment in town and our news people sent various reports to CBS radio and all reports ended with the reporters name and CBS News Thunder Bay.  I actually did one of the reports for CBS Radio early one morning when they called and wanted a report on the derailment.  

CNN refer to Canadian stations as affiliates when they pick up a report from a Canadian source or network.  

April 18, 2024 10:56 am  #3

One slight correction to p1's post and while it may be minor, it used to drive our people crazy. My very first paid job in broadcasting was at Newsradio out of CKEY. And we generally took a lot more than we gave to CBS. 

And then came the Mississauga Train Derailment in 1979. Our reporter, the great John Yoannou, was covering the thing non-stop and working till he almost dropped. CBS Radio, of course, was really interested in this story and called asking him to send them a voicer. So he did. 

But in his fatigue, John included a local reference to a cross street in Mississauga, which the network didn't want. So they asked him to do it again. He sighed and reluctantly agreed. But this time, he signed off "John Yoannou, CBS News, Mississauga."

Again, the Eye Network editors balked. No, they said, by signing off CBS News, it makes it sound like he works for us. Have him do it again, this time saying "John Yoannou FOR CBS News, Mississauga." 

John nearly blew his top after everything he was trying to get done. But trooper that he was, he did it. 

It's been a long time since then, but I still remember having to deliver the news to him about CBS' tweaking of his story. He was not happy. And you should know, John was an incredibly nice guy, who would regularly show up with donuts and coffee for everyone on crazy shifts at the station, something no one else ever did. He was - and is - a decent man, who genuinely cared about his co-workers. It was an honour to work with him. 

April 18, 2024 12:15 pm  #4

Very interesting!  I only knew of the early years of U.S. network radio where some Canadian stations, notably CKLW, were, for a time, affiliates of U.S. networks.

The early days of Canadian TV, before microwave networks were in place in the vast majority of the country, meant airing film delivered by Freight and broadcasting live and local.

April 18, 2024 12:30 pm  #5

When I read the derailment story for the editor at CBS News, I told him that I wasn't a news person and had just finished my on air shift.  I read the story and didn't stumble and he complimented me that I didn't boot reading the copy.  He likely was a little easier on me since I wasn't working in news.  Probably you are right and did say my name and for CBS News Thunder Bay.  I don't really remember, but that makes sense. 

I have no idea how much CKPR fed to CBS radio news or even NewsRadio for that matter.  We had four or five strong news reporters at CKPR radio including Jeff Sandler, Chris Duncan, George Burns and Ron Kronstein who were always keen to file stories for NewsRadio. 

April 18, 2024 1:10 pm  #6

After the demise of Newsradio, CBS News became affiliated with Standard Broadcast News in Canada, which was owned by the Slaights and had been formerly involved with NBC Radio News. NBC folded its radio news division for a number of years after its purchase by Westwood One. 

As an SBN reporter, I filed for CBS Radio News on occasion and while it was great fun (and certainly didn't hurt the bank account, as they paid well), there were a few things you had to learn. Editors there had no understanding of our Parliamentary system and couldn't distinguish between the federal and provincial governments. Another annoying quirk was their insistence on referring to politicians as "Mister" or "Ms." rather than by their last names alone. For example, when I filed a story, I would refer to "Prime Minister Mulroney" in my first reference, but then shorten it to "Mulroney" for each subsequent reference. I occasionally had to redo voicers to meet this need. 

Occasionally things got absurd. Sometimes we would get requests to get comment from the Prime Minister of the day on mundane trade issues. The governor of Oklahoma or Maine would make a gripe about "unfair Canadian competition" regarding fish, lumber or pork, and a CBS editor would call us up asking for comment from the PM. They'd be incredulous when we told them that the PM wouldn't be aware of any such problems and the PM's office would likely refer us to the Minister of Trade or Foreign Affairs and they'd only offer a brief statement. I'd simply ask them if we could call them we needed comment from the White House if the Premier of Quebec complained about imports of Vermont maple syrup.

April 18, 2024 1:36 pm  #7

CKCK Regina which is currently a CTV owned and operated station was an affiliated station with CBS from 1954 to 1970. They were also a private affiliate of CBC during this time. 

April 18, 2024 2:18 pm  #8

A station in Jamestown,NY once affiliated with CTV. Read about it here in the history section about WNYP-TV:
"CTV invades America"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNYB

Last edited by canam2021 (April 18, 2024 2:21 pm)

April 18, 2024 9:20 pm  #9

I grew up with CKNX TV. That was our only channel. But I was too young to really know anything about their business affiliations.

They used to produce a lot of their own programs live. One I remember was called Circle 8 Ranch. It was a weekly show featuring a local, country music band and guest performers from around the area. One of the show's sponsors was a brand of workwear. I don't recall the name. Each week they would demonstrate the strength and ruggedness of the clothes. Four guys from the band would play tug of war with a pair of the overalls (two on each leg.)

One week the seam did rip and the four guys ended up on the floor laughing.

In their early days, CKNX also ran a lot of old movies from the 30s and 40s.

Last edited by turkeytop (April 18, 2024 9:24 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 19, 2024 3:43 am  #10

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Another annoying quirk was their insistence on referring to politicians as "Mister" or "Ms." rather than by their last names alone. 

Yup!  This was still part of standards until very recently.  Some of the saltier vets still use 'Mr Biden' or 'Mr Trump' on second reference but it's not enforced the way it used to be.  There were other weird practices like: you couldn't play a portion of the national anthem, it had to be all or nothing.  So once, during the 2004 presidential campaign when GW Bush was caught saying something dumb, on a hot mic, during the anthem, the executive editor insisted the anchor play the entire thing and not talk over it. The VP of news vetoed that when stations complained.  

And, yes, CBS still makes stringers lock out by saying 'For CBS News...".  The exception was if the reporter worked for an o&o (like WCBS, before Audacy bought it).  

Anyone remember the old checks they used to pay stringers with?  I kept a few, uncashed, from ages ago.  They were covered in CBS eye logo watermarks.  Pretty cool.  

April 19, 2024 8:30 am  #11

The workwear sponsor mentioned in an above post may have been Dickies. There is a factory in Hanover that produces their products. Hanover is within the CKNX  local OTA area. I used to deliver bulk material to the Dickies factory in the early 2000's .