sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2024 6:46 am  #1

CRTC To Make Decision On New Cable Channel But Will You Watch It?

It's got a terrible name - Corco, whatever that means. It's based in Manitoba and has been on the air to a very limited audience of under 200,000 for several years. But now it wants to go national, taking up a spot on your cable or satellite line-up. (It already airs on the nosebleed section of Bell's sat service but nowhere else.)

And the CRTC is to announce this coming week if it will be given the greenlight. 

So what is Corco? Here's how it describes itself:

"Corco is a new channel designed for anyone looking for positive TV. You can watch a variety of entertainment, including TV shows, movies, documentaries and news commentary, plus programs from your favourite pastors."

Yep, lots of religious programming. I can only wonder what the folks at YesTV will have to say about its potential entry into a national market. It also carries a lot of religious shows - in fact, many of the same ones as its would-be competitor - and I'm sure they won't be happy if the newcomer shows up to try and steal those already limited number of viewers. 

If the CRTC approves, there's no indication if this will be must carry - or attract much of an audience. 

So what's on there? Well, if you're curious, you can watch the station live over the web here

April 28, 2024 8:44 am  #2

Re: CRTC To Make Decision On New Cable Channel But Will You Watch It?

Corco is owned by MCA Media Group.  https://www.mcamediagroup.com/
They also own the Miracle Channel  https://www.miraclechannel.ca/

I wonder if they'll try to buy Yes TV?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 28, 2024 10:28 am  #3

*sigh* just more grifting of the gullible .. No thanks .. 

April 28, 2024 8:51 pm  #4

I have no interest and never watch YesTV. Why would I be interested in its supposed competition.

April 30, 2024 9:15 pm  #5

mace wrote:

I have no interest and never watch YesTV. Why would I be interested in its supposed competition.

They do have Jeopardy at least

April 30, 2024 9:29 pm  #6

And if you send us your dollars we'll send you this miracle handkerchief and Donald Trump bible.

Miracle Channel exists to give you a reliable place to go for content that's full of hope. Our goal is that everything we do points you towards the truth about Jesus, the promises in God's Word, and the hope you have in Him for an incredible life.

April 30, 2024 11:04 pm  #7

The CRTC approved allowing this channel to go national, but it thankfully won't be must carry. Which is probably a good thing. One of the issues the Commission had with this application is its apparent need to have employees agree to something called "The Lifestyle and Morality Standards," as well as attest to a "Statement of Faith."

Uh oh. 

But the solons on the CRTC insist they're willing to accept the word of the company that it "no longer has a policy called “Lifestyle and Morality Standards.” Instead, it requires that all directors adhere to the supplied Employee Handbook, last updated in May 2021, which covers all human resources policies, including the “Conflict of Interest Policy”."

Still sounds fishy to me. And so does this, when the Commission noted they would not be granting permission for a new national religious service.

"The applicant replied that although its over-the-air television station, Miracle Channel, is a religious service, Corco is not. MCA added that “the content that could be deemed religious will not exceed 20% of the program schedule – and will certainly not be dominant.”

In light of the above, the Commission is satisfied that Corco is not a religious programming service."

They may be, but I'm certainly not. This thing has red lights and warning bells all over it. I mean a Lifestyle and Morality clause in this day and age? But somehow it got permission to go national - but only as a discretionary service. Methinks you won't be seeing it pop up on your cable dial anytime soon and if it does, I'm guessing many here will not be watching it. 

Read the decision here.