sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2024 9:11 am  #1

CFRB Memories

Like most of you, I grew up in an era where my parents and all my friend's parents had the same type of radio in the kitchen. Only two knobs. CFRB and off. Same thing in the car. My dad only used one of the five presets for CFRB. Why set the other four. They will never be used. I know everyone has similar memories of the station when it was so dominant in news, sports, traffic and a wide variety of programming that would appeal to anyone over 35. Two things I had forgotten about but a radio geek friend of mine reminded me the other day. Bill Stephenson always ended his 7:55AM Players/Bee-Hive/Canadian Tire sports report with "You don't have to play a sport to be a good one" Sunday Mornings you would always hear this. "In two minutes the news, but first, Moments of Meditation with the Reverend..."

April 29, 2024 9:22 am  #2

Re: CFRB Memories

I remember when CFRB 1010 played music.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 29, 2024 9:57 am  #3

I  grew up in a radio household.  Even more than TV, the radio was always on in either the kitchen or living room, or bedroom and always the car.  

A few months before my father passed away he bought a Philco stereo for the front room.  The big furniture type of radio/record player that was all  wood, lower to the ground and wide. 

While living in Toronto from 1958 to 1965 the radios were on either CFRB, CHUM or CKEY.  When the stereo landed in the spring of 1965 CHFI and CKFM were added to the list.  Oddly enough, as a kid I never disliked CFRB.  Not my type of music but even then I knew that a lot of people weren't listening to the station for the music.  It was personality, information, news and a bit of gossip.  CFRB was Toronto. 

When we moved from Toronto summer 1966 and all through school the radio at home was CFRB in the morning until after the 9am news.  Then FM took over with CKFM, CHFI, or CFCA.  CHUM FM and CKLA in Guelph came later.  In highschool I heard the great Carl Banas on CKFM almost every night in the front room while doing homework. 

In my mom's car I had the radio presets to CFRB, CHUM, CKOC, CHAM, CFTR, sometimes CHYM in Kitchener or CJOY in Guelph.  No FM in our vehicles until the early 80's.   

My first car was a 1980 AMC Spirit.  No FM or cassette until I upgraded a few years later , but that original radio could  pull in AM stations from all over the place even during the day.  Good full sound and at night I could pull in many US stations.  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 29, 2024 2:41 pm)

April 29, 2024 11:37 am  #4

In the late 60's at 11:45 am weekdays my dad and I listened to Show Business with Sinclair for 5 minutes followed by the news and commentary with Gordon Sinclair. After that I believe Earl Warren and "The House of Warren" came on. We lived in Kitchener.

April 29, 2024 12:01 pm  #5

Like Paterson1 I too grew up in households that relied on radio for everything from news to my father's favourite operas from the Met in New York (on CBC).
My parents were divorced when I was about 8 and I moved into an apartment in the west end of Vancouver with my mother and she remarried.
in that home the radio was tuned all day to CKNW or CJOR.
These stations were home to Vancouver's legends of talk radio, Jack Webster and Pat Burns.
(little did I know I would one day be working on the other side of the glass from Burns, who I would have to occasionally help down the stairs to the basement radio station, when he was on another bender.)
On CKNW listening to Webster, the feisty Glaswegian, was required.
It sparked a lifelong interest in reading and talking about news and other issues.
My step father later entered civic politics where radio listening became even more pronounced.
I also grew up on a lot of British programming which was carried on CHQM... a lot of BBC humour shows and middle of the road music.
When I reached university on pretty well the first day I walked though the Student Union Building I ran across the information table for CITR UBC Radio where I thrived for the next four years.

Last edited by newsguy1 (April 29, 2024 12:01 pm)

April 29, 2024 12:12 pm  #6

On weekdays at 11:45 am my grandmother would stop whatever she was doing and turn on CFRB to listen to Gordon Sinclair. She loved to hear what Gordon had to say (they were both born in 1900). He’d start with a five minute commentary followed by his ten minute newscast, finishing at noon. Gordon Sinclair was still working at CFRB at age 84 when he passed away; he’d been talking about getting ready to take his driving test. (Didn’t Charles Doering and Tayler Parnaby continue the comment and news at this same time?)

I started listening to Gordon Sinclair as well and liked him a lot. Betty Kennedy was a wonderful broadcaster/interviewer and had a one-hour afternoon show on CFRB. Both Gordon and Betty were also regular panelists on Front Page Challenge.

April 29, 2024 4:44 pm  #7

@ paterson1. I still have my parents Philco wood stereo . I use it as a stand for my big screen tv now. The old thing still lights up, but just has a hum on radio, the needle for the record player is long gone. 

April 29, 2024 5:00 pm  #8

I grew up in eastern Ontario,  but one of my girlfriend's grandparents lived in Omemee. On occasion when we would visit them, at noon each weekday we would listen to Gordon Sinclair doing the news,
Someone told me there were a million listeners to the noon news.

April 29, 2024 6:01 pm  #9

I agree Gordon Sinclair "owned" the market.  I ssuspect that most of the other "operators" who recorded GS's early evening broadcasts, have passed away - that would include I believe Jackie (Jaqueline) Near, David Spencer and others.  I probably hold the distinction of being one of the "last surviving" operators.  (late 1960s to mid-1970's)I cannot recall any other station with as many distinctive on-air personalities.  No two announcers sounded the same or had a similar style.  It was to say the least, a very interesting place It was also impressed on me (as an operator), that you did not misfire or fail to log a spot.  Even 50+ years ago, the rate per spot was high and make-goods were never supposed to happen.  

April 29, 2024 7:15 pm  #10

Ah yes, Gordon Sinclair. The man who, on-air, described the 53 American hostages who were held captive in Iran in the early 1980s as "fifty men, two women and one black." 

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 29, 2024 7:16 pm)

April 29, 2024 8:21 pm  #11

I once had a very good friend who told me he had met a really nice girl and he was hoping things would work out.
I don't know why but I thought he said she was Jewish, so I asked again... so she's Jewish?
No, he replied, "she's white."
I could not think of my friend quit the same way again.

April 29, 2024 9:37 pm  #12

I too grew up in a home is West Oakville and the Normande Hi-Fi console was also tuned to CFRB "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice"
My mother would have the radio on in the morning for the 8am news.  My maternal grandmother also lived with us... each afternoon at 4pm after her CBS "stories" were finished it would be upstairs for a cup of tea, and the radio would be on... CFRB...   and The Toronto Daily Star would generally be delivered by 4:30pm.

I just assumed that is how life was....

Oh, and I have to mention Bill McVean (who at this point was a resident of Oakville)  If I recall, McVean's show was called "Let's discuss it"  ???

April 29, 2024 10:08 pm  #13

Didn't Bill McVean do The Owl's Nest?

April 30, 2024 12:33 am  #14

Growing up in Burlington, everything in our household was Westinghouse in the 60's and 70's and the kitchen table radio would be tuned to 900 CHML. My father would get riled up every night by call-in show host Tom Cherrington,

Last edited by Centerline (April 30, 2024 12:56 am)

April 30, 2024 6:21 am  #15

mace wrote:

"The Owl's Nest"  was hosted by Wayne Van Exan...   not that I was ever awake to hear the show, but I certainly heard promos for his show.

April 30, 2024 6:31 am  #16

Centerline wrote:

Growing up in Burlington, everything in our household was Westinghouse in the 60's and 70's and the kitchen table radio would be tuned to 900 CHML. My father would get riled up every night by call-in show host Tom Cherrington,

My father would regularly listen to Tom Cherrington's evening show on on CHML...  but generally when we were out in the car going somewhere with dad...   I remember my dad always had a chuckle listening to Tom

Was the Cherrington radio show called "Action Line"  or am I thinking of something else?

April 30, 2024 8:10 am  #17

Glen Warren wrote:

mace wrote:

"The Owl's Nest"  was hosted by Wayne Van Exan...   not that I was ever awake to hear the show, but I certainly heard promos for his show.
According to Rock Radio Scrapbook, Bill McVean hosted the Owl's Nest from 11:30pm-Midnight. Wayne Van Exan hosted "Music 'Til Dawn" from Midnight-5AM. Could the show have been renamed the Owl's Nest in later years?

April 30, 2024 10:07 pm  #18

I listened to CFRB a lot, during the late 60s and 1970s. I was living up in the Owen Sound area and there was no FM available around there, in those days. For good music, CFRB was it. On weekday evenings there was a program of light classical music I always enjoyed.

What really made CFRB so great was the on air personalities. Bill Stephenson, Gordon Sinclair, Charles Doering, Wally Crouter, Bob Hesketh, Pierre Berton, Charles Templeton, Ray Sonin Prior Smith and so many others whose names I have forgotten.

It's sad how far down that once great radio station has fallen.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 30, 2024 10:23 pm  #19

The 1992 line-up: (This was a lot easier to read when my eyes were younger!)

Check out #48 - I didn't realize Larry Solway ever worked for 1010. 

April 30, 2024 10:29 pm  #20

This one from 1986 is a bit easier on the eyes.

Oh, and remember when CFRB had an actual honest-to-goodness sports division?

April 30, 2024 10:39 pm  #21

Glen Warren wrote:

Centerline wrote:

My father would regularly listen to Tom Cherrington's evening show on on CHML...  but generally when we were out in the car going somewhere with dad...   I remember my dad always had a chuckle listening to Tom

Was the Cherrington radio show called "Action Line"  or am I thinking of something else? 

Yes, it was Action Line with Tom Cherington.