sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2024 7:06 am  #1

Automakers Face Uphill Battle In Fight To Take AM Radio Out Of Cars

Despite the fact many say AM is dead, it appears a growing number of U.S. Congressmen and women don't agree, after a lively session where executives tried to argue against a ending bill that would force AM to be provided in all cars - including electric models.

Which lead to a manufacturers' alliance spokesman to try to shift the controversy into neutral. 

Alliance President John Bozzella told the subcommittee that automakers are willing to “disclose very conspicuously” if a model does not have AM radio. “You’re not going to see a lot of those except on electric cars,” he said. Bozzella said automakers are also willing to provide hand crank AM radios as part of the standard emergency kits they sell with vehicles.

“I think AM radio is important,” Bozzella said. “I’m a big listener of AM radio and we’re not about taking it away.”

That suggestion did not go over well with the politicians debating the issue. 

With AM Radio Bill Gaining Traction, Auto Industry Shifts Gears

But here's another question I haven't seen posed yet: If the U.S. decides that AM must be mandatory in cars, will that same rule apply to vehicles in Canada? With so many of them being made here, it's hard to imagine car makers turning out one model radio for the U.S., and another for Canada. 

May 1, 2024 8:23 am  #2

Re: Automakers Face Uphill Battle In Fight To Take AM Radio Out Of Cars

Does anyone here drive electric? What's the quality of AM in the car?
Maybe AM will die slowly rather than quickly or abruptly.

May 1, 2024 8:44 am  #3

I admit I know next to nothing about automobile production, but the answer to this seems really simple to me - why not just make AM an option in a car when you order it? If it's really worth it to you, you'll be willing to pay a little more, just like if you want a sun roof or SiriusXM. End of problem.

May 1, 2024 9:07 am  #4

The problem for the industry is if it's an optional extra many people won't get it meaning AM will continue to have shrinking availability. Perhaps that doesn't matter and it is just another case of a technology or medium becoming obsolete.

May 1, 2024 9:48 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

“I think AM radio is important,” Bozzella said. “I’m a big listener of AM radio and we’re not about taking it away.”

That's really all it's about. Free-market politicians only are until it affects something they like.

The suggestion of including a hand-crank radio in the car's emergency kit is great; it would be useful in this hypothetical "emergency" situation as you'd be able to use it should this apocalypse disable or force you to abandon your car.

But of course it was rejected, because it's not about that. It's about politicians trying to legislate away the passage of time. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 1, 2024 9:50 am)