sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2024 9:26 am  #1

What's In A Name? Does "CP24" Even Make Sense Anymore?

The name "CP24" made perfect sense when City TV launched the all news channel back in 1998. It was one of several cable stations City, still under the control of Moses Znaimer, was awarded during the CRTC's search to expand Canadian programming available in this country. 

To the credit of its staff back then, they managed to build it and get it on the air 100 days after receiving the licence, a phenomenal achievement for such a labour intensive undertaking as news. 

At the time, CP24 stood for "Cable Pulse 24," a logical extension to City's own long established "CityPulse" newscasts. But when CityPulse changed to CityNews, CP24 stayed the same. It made even less sense when Bell took over the station, in a deal that saw Rogers get City TV and Bell inherit the news channel. 

So what, exactly, does "CP24" stand for today? I'm guessing it stands for nothing. I've never heard it referred to as anything else, even though it makes no sense. The one thing City was good at was branding - "Everywhere," "Toronto's News," etc. etc.

To this day I still hear some older people refer to the station's news as "CityPulse," even though it hasn't been called that in decades. It's so established in the GTA that it's an almost impossible brand to break. I'm guessing "CP24" has the same legacy. 

CTV could try to change the name, but why start all over with such an established I.D.? So "CP24" it remains, even it means absolutely nothing anymore. 

May 1, 2024 10:05 am  #2

Re: What's In A Name? Does "CP24" Even Make Sense Anymore?

I would think that "CP24" still has a lot of brand equity in Toronto, why mess it up. There's already a "CTV News Channel", so what else could you call it? If "CFTO News" still existed, Bell could have probably tied CP24 to that brand. 

None of the networks seem to have had the same respect Bell has with CP24 when it came to the local brands/call signs of our local TV stations. I kind of wish the local brands (CFTO, BCTV, CFCF 12, etc) survived and somehow were integrated with the network brand. 

May 1, 2024 10:09 am  #3

Its a Toronto brand at this point for a news station on tv. Leave it. 

May 1, 2024 10:17 am  #4

I guess it comes down to if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. A bit of CP24 trivia, when they launched they decided to stick with 3/4” tape as the industry was trying different formats, like Beta SP etc. but things were a bit up in the air. They scooped up 3/4” machines for a pittance as a result and shortly after it all went digital, and they did as well.

May 1, 2024 1:38 pm  #5

Not that it matters, but why can't CP24 still stand for Cable Pulse 24?  It is a cable channel and last that I heard the most popular news channel in Southern Ontario.  Bell did buy the station, so wouldn't the name, long and short form come with it?   

May 1, 2024 1:44 pm  #6

I actually would be surprised if they ever changed it, it's so well known by now. But if anyone ever asks what the "CP" stands for, there's no real answer that makes sense.

I'm just commenting on the fact that when it was originally branded, it was because of CityPulse, which has long since disappeared. 

But you're absolutely correct. It no longer really matters and no one ever asks!

May 1, 2024 1:55 pm  #7

Really, no different than a heritage radio station that still goes by its call-letters at this point. Simultaneously meaningful and meaningless.

May 2, 2024 2:46 pm  #8

In the U.S., A&E stood for Arts & Entertainment.   They would carry more upper class programming like symphony orchestras, etc.   

Also, the U.S. has HN which stood for Headline News.   It was a branch of CNN.   There’s no news at all here just crime shows all the time.

My guess is viewers get used to a name brand and will go with the change of programming but want the name to remain.

May 2, 2024 2:57 pm  #9

Most of the original specialty cable channels have lost their meaning.
Or they play shows that are very lamely associated with their original intent.
Like The History Channel showing old episodes of The Rat Patrol (well, it is about the Second World War isn't it?)
Or the Discovery Channel running Antiques Road Show --(well people are making discoveries aren't they?)
Or National Geographic playing "Diners Drive Ins and Dives (well, Guy Fiero travels to different national geographical locations, doesnn't he?)
OK I'm sort of joking but some of those channels have evolved into content that was not their original purpose.

May 2, 2024 3:10 pm  #10

newsguy1 wrote:

Like The History Channel showing old episodes of The Rat Patrol (well, it is about the Second World War isn't it?)
Or the Discovery Channel running Antiques Road Show --(well people are making discoveries aren't they?)
Or National Geographic playing "Diners Drive Ins and Dives (well, Guy Fiero travels to different national geographical locations, doesnn't he?)
OK I'm sort of joking but some of those channels have evolved into content that was not their original purpose.

It's been somewhat of a standing joke for years to watch execs of the History Channel claim that reruns of Law and Order or NCIS are in fact "historical representations of police work done in the U.S. in the early 21st century."  Similarly "Swamp People" which features a variety of Cajuns shootin' gators and other critters in the the bayous of Louisiana, is an actual depiction of "a hunting tradition that dates back hundreds of years." The breathtaking hypocrisy can sometimes leave one truly speechless.

May 2, 2024 3:32 pm  #11

RT, AMC, TLC, and MTV are some other broadcasting examples mentioned in Wikipedia's item on this subject

May 2, 2024 6:07 pm  #12

and the CP24 bean counters will want to avoid the substantial cost that comes with a name change and all the work of switching from one to another on everything in the building and online

Last edited by betaylored (May 2, 2024 6:09 pm)

May 2, 2024 9:00 pm  #13

TLC...Originally meant The Learning Channel but is anyone really Learning anything on TLC?

Many cable stations have morphed into something else (crap) that they no longer air what their acronym means.  Best example: MTV.

May 2, 2024 9:40 pm  #14

newsguy1 wrote:

The Weather Channel - Now it's reality shows loosely connected to weather

HLN - Headline News, started out as a legitimate news channel. Now it's the crime channel.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 2, 2024 9:56 pm  #15

CMT Canada's schedule consists mostly of sitcoms, no country music (or any music for that matter) to be found on its schedule. The U.S. version also airs sitcoms but still has blocks of music programming and videos throughout the day.

At least MUCH had the decency to drop the "Music" portion from their name, although what exactly is "MUCH" supposed to stand for?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 3, 2024 9:18 am  #16

Could it be that
Bell won't change the name of CP24 to Toronto24 because they don't want to be thought of as being only a Toronto news station. 
As CP24, everyone knows to count on it for Toronto driven news, but also news from all over. 

This is just a thought passing through my mind, and not necessarily a fact.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 3, 2024 9:26 am  #17

turkeytop wrote:

HLN - Headline News, started out as a legitimate news channel. Now it's the crime channel.

Yeah, it was sad when HLN became a CNN repeater for at least the morning show, but why compete with yourself anyway?   https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2022/12/05/robin-meade-final-sign-off-broadcast-hln-mxp-contd-vpx.hln

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.