sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2024 12:04 pm  #1

Olivia Chow Has A Role On Law & Order Toronto

This isn't political, just a curiosity worth noting, because I don't think it's ever happened before. On Thursday night's episode, Oliva Chow somehow found the time to guest star on "Law & Order: Toronto." She doesn't play a local official however, but a friend of one and yes, she has a few lines. 

Does this officially make her the "acting" mayor of the city?

Mayor Olivia Chow appears on this week’s ‘Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent’

May 1, 2024 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Olivia Chow Has A Role On Law & Order Toronto

I don't remember a Toronto mayor being on a TV show, but  then Prime Minister Stephen Harper did a cameo on "Murdock Mysteries."  He played a desk cop who has a short argument with a fellow cop about who will win the Stanley Cup.
Then a man walks into the police station and asks to see Murdock.
That man is an actor playing Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier.
So, (as a joke) the real prime minister plays as an actor who meets an actor playing a prime minister.
In the case of Chow, apparently her cameo was improvised when she visited the set of LAO.
The decision to put her in the episode was a spur of the moment thing, and the writers quickly wrote some lines for her to say.
all very cute.

May 1, 2024 1:34 pm  #3

Rob Ford once made a fool of himself on Jimmy Kimmel and CFRB's "Touchdowns & Fumbles" commentator Bob Reid, who was a political consultant and advisor to him at the time, once said it was one of his biggest mistakes to tell the late mayor to go on the U.S. talk show at the height of his crack cocaine scandal. 

Kimmel completely made fun of him and while Ford spent most of his time promoting Toronto, a city he loved, he wound up looking really bad. They even hired country star Chris Daughtry to sing "The Ballard of Rob Ford," which contained the lyric, "he's the drunk driving, crack smoking mayor of Toronto."

May 1, 2024 1:45 pm  #4

Both Paul Martin and Stephen Harper had cameo roles on Corner Gas.   A show that RA has likely never watched other than the first few minutes of the first episode...

May 1, 2024 3:04 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Both Paul Martin and Stephen Harper had cameo roles on Corner Gas.   A show that RA has likely never watched other than the first few minutes of the first episode...

Could this be the beginning of another P1/RA ?Discussion"?

May 1, 2024 3:10 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

You see, that's where you're wrong again! I've never seen a single second of it!

Don't feel like I missed anything, but I'm glad for others who enjoyed it. 

May 1, 2024 6:53 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

You see, that's where you're wrong again! I've never seen a single second of it!

Don't feel like I missed anything, but I'm glad for others who enjoyed it. 

Didn't miss anything?  Other than knowing politicians appearing in a scripted show is not unique to Olivia Chow.

When the former PM's were in Corner Gas and Harper also in Murdoch Mysteries was fairly prominent in the news.  Surprised you weren't aware. 

May 1, 2024 8:00 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

This isn't political, just a curiosity worth noting, because I don't think it's ever happened before. On Thursday night's episode, Oliva Chow somehow found the time to guest star on "Law & Order: Toronto." She doesn't play a local official however, but a friend of one and yes, she has a few lines. 

Does this officially make her the "acting" mayor of the city?

Mayor Olivia Chow appears on this week’s ‘Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent’

I clearly was talking about a big city mayor, not a PM, although both are certainly unusual. 

May 3, 2024 9:30 am  #9

I watched this episode, recorded after the Leaf game.  A dark storyline about junior hockey culture. hazing and families who billet young hockey players.  This is only the second installment of Law and Order Toronto that I have watched and the episode last night was pretty good.  I intend to watch the series in the summer.  

I wonder if this show is still drawing great ratings.  The debut had well over 1 million live viewers and was the number one show that evening on Canadian TV.  I am sure it has slid somewhat but curious to know if it is still drawing good numbers. 

Olivia's segment lasted all of about five seconds and she had one line.  Looked like she was a citizen who had an appointment with one of the inspectors. 

May 3, 2024 10:10 am  #10

Chow's appearance was a "blink and you miss it" moment. She had one word in the show.

The real proof of whether this drams is a success will come soon. They're almost out of episodes for this season and then a decision about renewing it or not will have to be made. I'll be curious to see what Rogers decides to do. 

May 3, 2024 11:55 am  #11

The series really sputtered out of the gate, but began to improve as of about episode 3.
Since then it has steadily improved, but it still suffers from some basic flaws.
The cast is pretty much completely unknown.
The two main characters are rather standard, dogged police inspector roles with the slight exception of Aiden Young as Harry Graff, a sort of know-it-all who seems to be an aficionado of fine art, and an expert on meteorology among other things.
Young is an Australian-Canadian actor who has been nominated for a few Sundance awards.
Anyway we'll see if these actors and character really grow on the audience, but they are a far cry from Sam Waterston or Marissa Hartigay -- or even Ice T for that matter.

May 3, 2024 12:26 pm  #12

I have just watched the first episode and the one last night.  These two shows  were generally well done, but I was not a viewer of the other Law and Order franchises.  Good on City/Rogers giving their original productions preferred time slots and adequate promotion. 

It will also be interesting to see if Citytv renews their popular Rex & Me series which appeals to younger and family viewers.  This show has been more popular in the last few years than when it first appeared in 2019.   However after six seasons apparently contracts are renegotiated and the price of production can go up a lot. 

Rex & Me runs in over 100 markets worldwide and has also reached 100 episodes produced which is a watermark for syndication for over the air television. 

May 3, 2024 12:34 pm  #13

If you have the streaming channel MHZ and Topic, you can watch many episodes of "Inspector Rex."
I believe this is the inspiration for "Rex and Me."
It's a German series featuring an intrepid German Shepherd police dog.

May 3, 2024 1:01 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

Rex & Me

newsguy1 wrote:

If you have the streaming channel MHZ and Topic, you can watch many episodes of "Inspector Rex."

Hudson & Rex, not "Rex and Me".

May 3, 2024 1:09 pm  #15

Binson Echorec wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Rex & Me

newsguy1 wrote:

Hudson & Rex, not "Rex and Me".

Hahaha..correct.  At least I didn't call the show  The Littlest Hobo!

May 3, 2024 1:17 pm  #16

What I like about the female lead is that she is not impossibly beautiful and she doesn't wear low-cut tank tops and heels during her day-to-day job.

May 3, 2024 1:41 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

Hahaha..correct.  At least I didn't call the show  The Littlest Hobo!

Maybe tomorrow!

May 3, 2024 2:34 pm  #18

I grew up in Vancouver, and when I was about six years old an episode of "The Littlest Hobo" was filmed right on our street  It was a huge deal, and all us kids were enthralled by being able to stand on our street corner and watch the filming.

May 3, 2024 9:48 pm  #19

I guess this was a bit different, but the Romper Room kids went to Ottawa sometime in the 70s or 80s, and met Pierre Trudeau.

May 3, 2024 9:52 pm  #20

Air Farce had political and famous Canadians on quite often. They did a good job at it too.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 3, 2024 10:15 pm  #21

Before Air Farce there was Dr. Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicinde Show.
It features comic actors from BC.

They were utterly hilarious and performed their radio routines live at the UBC Student Union Building auditorium.
One of my favorite bits was a detective spoor, "Spud Canuck, Horsefly Private Eye."